Lake County Poet Laureate Julie Adams will be our guest on Wordweavers, Sat Feb 3rd, 2018 4-5 pm (and replaying Monday Feb 5 at 11 pm).
Her two-year appointment is coming to an end, and the selection process for the next Poet Laureate has started.
Julie will read "some old, some new poetry", explain the selection process, and perhaps comment on her life as a Laureate: she promises (while obeying FCC rules) to be "live and frisky".
The selection process is explained by Poet Laureate Emerita Casey Carney on Lake County News.
- Anyone in Lake County can apply
- Anyone can nominate somebody else!
- Applications are due March 4, at 5 p.m : the selection (by all Poets Laureate -- current, emeritae and emeriti) will be at the Middletown Arts Center on April 29, at 4 p.m.
To apply, you need to submit :
- Eight original poems (ten pages maximum), which need not have been published
- A letter of recommendation from a community member
- A mission statement describing how you would serve Lake County’s literary community
Note that "The role of a poet laureate is to promote poetry, writing and literacy in the community they represent. The position requires strong organizational, communication and clerical skills."
We will take phone calls after Julie has explained the procedure : call 707-263-3435
We would also like to remind you that the Poetry Out Loud Competition takes place at the Soper Reese Theatre on Sunday, Feb 11 at 2pm. featuring competitors from Middletown, Clear Lake , and Carle Continuation High Schools. Winners at this event will go on
to compete at the state level.